Friday, February 08, 2008

Awang Goneng : Growing Up in Terengganu


"You can take the boy out of Terengganu but you can't take Terengganu out of the man", says Dina Zaman.

Awang Goneng is probably one of the famous diaspora of Terengganu-ans out there. In his book, Growing Up in Terengganu which became a hit in major bookstores, he recaptured his early childhood memories and interaction with his beautiful land, Terengganu, starting from a blog into a book (blook).

Certainly, memories of the Terengganu stays a significant part of his life, and in my own life as well. Even though I may not share some of his kampung childhood memories due to my urban upbringing, many of the experiences I guess could be shared and evoke a sense of nostalgia. It affirms my identity, my culture, my family, my upbringing, my people and my land to where I will lay to rest.

RTM made a series of documentary on Awang Goneng and his recent visit to Terengganu last Christmas. Its a shame that I totally forgot to buy a copy of his book from the Alam Akademik bookshop near Pasar Payang, I could have gotten his autograph and meet him in person.

It is also a shame that the younger generation do not share in appreciation for local history, of experiences and stories of the past.

Quoting Awang Goneng, "The sad thing is, the latter generation do not appreciate literature, the past.”




Part 2 Part 3 Part 4

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i read the book through halfway and it didn't really captivate me?dunno why hehe...

keropok lekor said...

Dunnoe leh, probably we don't live in his world, the kampung lifestyle I suppose; the sight, smell and noise. I hope that my children will be able to have that experience that I've missed out from.

Anonymous said...

My oh my, I love this spot in Kuala Marang so much that almost every week I come all the way from Gong Badak just to take photos of the place, if you like you can have a look at those photos here, some will be published in a book called "Senyuk Sokmo: Colorful Encounters in Terengganu", here's the link

Here's some shots in Marang