Without appearing dogmatic, I feel that christian JPA scholars should not break their bond with the Public Service Department aka the Government aka the People.
It is because honourable people honour their agreements.
As Christians, we reflect Godly values, of which our God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is a God of faithfulness who never breaks His covenant with His people. The basis of the Christian faith is a relationship between men and God, based on trust in what He has promised through Jesus Christ.
Our agreement with the nation thus should be regarded as a sacred agreement between us and the people, and should be honoured at all costs. Failure to do so especially due to selfish reasons is a shameful act that does not reflect godliness.
While honouring the agreement means that we may have to forgo career or educational prospects overseas, it is a reasonable price to pay for what we have chosen at the first place. Jesus said that one should count the cost before committing to anything. Jesus also said that we should let our yes be yes and no be no (Matt 5:37).
Committing ourselves in a public funded scholarship-bond (regardless of whether we can afford to repay) is more than just a financial assistance or prestige thingy.
It is a commitment to honour the aspiration of the scholarship giver, the whole nation, and the recipients should not only be accountable to the funder, but ultimately the Supreme Giver.
Quoting our beloved JPA officers, "Kalau tak balik Malaysia dan bayar balik, tak berkat hidup meskipun sekaya mana sekalipun"
Saturday, February 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
2 comments:
I know this is an old post but I'm feeling gutted at the moment and would appreciate a fellow scholars (I assume you are one?) take on this. Especially a Christian as well :) And apologies in advance, I know some ranting is in store! *Feeling emo*
I'm studying Pharmacy abroad and recently, had to turn down a pre-registration training post after faiing to obtain permission frm the JPA to stay on.
I know it probably wasn't right to apply for the post in the 1st place. And I do agree that scholars should honour their agreement and return. But when my course has been structured in such a way that the bulk of practical experience is in the pre-reg year (thus, the actual years in university heavily focused rather on theoretical & scientific knowledge), does one year of postponement really matter?
Is some poor bloke out there not going to get his medicines because one insignificant scholar is delayed in returning by less than a year? This is what I am feeling...although I've decided to return immediately, I am aware of the loss of experience, contacts and knowledge I could have had (and this, in relation to the service I will give, not of myself).
The work ethics here is entirely different, the emphasis being on training the younger generation. Yes, there is an element of career advancement, but it is secondary to character and career DEVELOPMENT. When I told my hospital that I couldn't take up the post, instead of the lecture and anger I was expecting, I received a very sympathetic response and assurance that the door will still be open, that I wasn't blacklisted for future employment eventhough I'm an international. This was so much more than I could have prayed for, and I do thank God for their kindness.
(However, the chances of returning are slim, as this is a training post and I would be out of the scene for a good many years). Medics have LOADS of oppportunity to further their studies in post-grad training. I doubt this is the case with Pharmacy, at least not where I am currently. You gain specialist knowledge by being on the job long enough. And getting a place in the Clinical Diploma requires registration with the Pharmacy Society over here.
Some people here go on a gap year(s) to other countries to gain wider exposure before coming back to embark on their careers. If they wished to. On the other hand, when I brought up this matter with people from home, the response I received was, "But aren't you going to waste a year? When you come back, your peers will by then, have become your seniors!" So, what? We would both have gained knowledge in different areas. Why is being 'senior' so important in Malaysia??
And I just HATE it when people bring money into the equation. This was SO not about earning in a foreign currency.
I know ultimately, God has His purposes and these issues hardly matter in the grand scheme of things. And yes, I pray that I will care more for His will and not my selfish desires. At times, I find rest. But at others, I still find it hard to reconcile with human comments about serving your country, etc. when it is a question of only one year.
Would love to hear what you think about this. Again, sorry for the emotions :)
Post a Comment