Friday, June 01, 2007

Love Malaysia?

"I love Malaysia because I have no other motherland to look up to, apart from heaven. This is where my family and friends, speaking the language and culture that I am familiar with, with the smell, taste and social fabric that I am too accustomed with. It is like the exilic Jewish people longing for the city of Jerusalem while in Babylon.

I hope for a Malaysia which is built upon the virtues of love, social justice and righteousness, whereby christians and churches in every segments of society becoming role model of what it means to be a Malaysian despite of current social realities.

For me, becoming a Malaysian christian should not be viewed in a narrowly defined lens alone, for example becoming morally pure through abstaining from corruption. But becoming an authentic christian also encompasses my responsibilities towards mission through nation-building, contributing to the civil government, celebrating religious freedom and dialogue, caring for creation and living out justice for the poor, oppressed and the alien.

Only when I start to incarnate into the world from my English-speaking, middle class mentality, to understand, engage, lower myself and make a difference at the grass root level, then I hope that I could be what I have been called to become, the “city on the hill that cannot be hid”.

Who are the grassroots? A resounding question from Luke 10:29. They are the impoverished suburban dwellers, the poorly treated migrant workers, the illiterate rural folks, the unemployed university graduates, the single mothers, the school children, so on and so forth."
-- Kerepok Lekor

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kerepok,

This is a nice post. Your vision for Malaysia and its Christian population is fascinating.

God bless!

Ben said...

hi there

nice post you've got.

btw im publishing a book on malaysia and would like to interview you on what you love about the country. ]

is that ok? :)

keropok lekor said...

hello quachee,

I am very honoured with your invitation. you can email me at kerepoklekor at gmail.