Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What does this mean?

"Do not suppose that I came to tear down the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to tear down but to fulfill. "Surely, I say to you, until the heaven and the earth pass away, by no means shall one iota [i.e., the smallest letter of the Greek alphabet] or one tittle [i.e., a stroke of a letter] pass away from the Law, until all happen.

(Mat 5:17-18)

1 comment:

Janicelees said...

Personally this passage is talking about Jesus being the only one able to fulfill the demands of the law, wanted to do the very thing. Which is great good news otherwise we would stand condemned because none of us is able to keep the commandments. I was wondering about how the law seems to be quite eternal until it mentioned an end which is "until all happens". May be it is referring to the end of the days.

But check out The Message version:

Don't suppose for a minute that I have come to demolish the Scriptures— either God's Law or the Prophets. I'm not here to demolish but to complete. I am going to put it all together, pull it all together in a vast panorama. God's Law is more real and lasting than the stars in the sky and the ground at your feet. Long after stars burn out and earth wears out, God's Law will be alive and working.